Thursday, May 17, 2012

Meet Miss Billie

This is Billie.  I have had her since last fall.  I wrote a big bio for her, but it was ridiculously long and detailed.  So I'll sum it up by saying she's gorgeous, 16 years old, related to my old mare who passed away, and kind of a handful.  She's great at a lot of things, but is most definitely a better trained horse than I am a rider.  I rode her once last fall and it went OK.  I think if an experienced horse person rode her they would LOVE her.  She is smarter than me, and she knows it.  She'll take advantage of that when she can.  This is more of my problem than hers, and I am working on learning how to show her who's the boss. 

She's allergic to hay due to COPD, so she is a spendy horse.  (unknown to me at the time of her purchase) She can't eat hay, so now I'm feeding TWO horses senior feed all winter long.  This equals HUGE feed bills at a time of year that I am struggling to buy propane.  But what are you gonna do?  A forever home is a forever home and I do love the stuffing out of her.  She is nice and affectionate, comes when called, and follows me around the pasture.  I know she's got it in her to be a great horse.  I've just got to figure out how to bring it out in her, and we'll get there, I know we will.  Feel free to remind me of this when i get frustrated and make a post saying, "who wants a horse?"

And I have to say, is that not the most beautiful color of palomino?  Since I bought her in the fall, its been fun to watch her winter coat shed out and see the sleek, shiny, beautiful horse you see above.  I could sit in a lawn chair in the shade, drink a beer, and watch that horse all day long.  Some days that is exactly what I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment